Monday, May 30, 2011

Mami.


This post is dedicated to my mother.  The best woman I know, who taught me how to be the woman that I am, and the mother that I am becoming.
Today my mother will start her journey to come meet her first grandchild.  So she will be traveling from Costa Rica to Norway and will be arriving tomorrow.
For most people, traveling such a great distance is no big deal, on the contrary, it would be exiting and exotic!  But my mom is very scared of flying, so, this is a big thing.  This is how much she love's us!
Being away from my country is very difficult sometimes.  I miss what I used to have there.  The familiarity of things, my culture, my family, the food, my friends, my old life, the supermarket, driving a car, the weather, the beach... oh so many things.  But those are things that I have managed to live without and keep close to with a little help of Skype and trying to visit every year.
All of this changed the moment I became pregnant.  It was then that I wanted to be close to my family.  I wanted the women in my family specially.  I wanted all the unwanted advice, the nosiness, the unwanted visits, the coffee chats, everything.  I wanted my mother, I wanted her advice and to hug her.  And for her to hug me.  Anyways, I finally got to go to Costa Rica when I was six months pregnant and for 3 weeks, that is what I did, be with my mom and almost nothing else.  That is all I wanted.  Then, Olivia was born, and it must be really hard to be apart from your first grandchild.  
My mom has seen Olivia grow these past 6 weeks through Skype, videos and pictures, but tomorrow, she gets to hold her for the first time.  I can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment